Sunday, November 6, 2016

Personal Reflection - 06112016



I heard this story from yesterday's Sunday service over at GKY Central Park and I feel too blessed to be keeping it to myself. So here it goes...

There was an event for youth sometime ago, if I heard correctly, in which there was a time slot for a "Alone With God" moment. During that moment everybody was told to pick a spot away from each other and given a glass candle to be brought for their alone time with God. They were asked to think of the light of the candle as the presence of God in the dark. Afterwards they were given time to share their personal reflections to the crowd if they want to. One particular youth gave a beautiful reflection which I am glad the liturgist had forwarded to us yesterday. Instead of sharing a straightforward reflection this kid actually gave it a little twist with an enourmous meaning.. 

"What if I was the candle and God was the glass? The glass that kept the candle still and made the candle last. The glass that protected the fire from dying out because of the wind. The glass that made the light from the candle have a beautiful pattern around it..."

This made me ponder about my life as that candle. Have I ever felt tired or dismayed when serving God? I have been a candle with a small fire but the biggest ego. I have been acting without the glass because of the giant 'me' inside. I hardly ask God for His opinions as I go about my daily business. Forgetting the most important detail that I am able to do anything at all is because of His grace.
And what pattern am I making to my surroundings? I have been rude to my parents and I have been snarky and annoying to my friends at times, not counting the many people I have tripped because of my sins. Without that glass... that grace of God to cover me... I will not be a blessing to others and make beautiful patterns to my surroundings.

I thank God for the reminder. The fact that God still pokes my ego means He loves me enough to save me from straying. He loves me enough to be my glass and cover me with His blood. We are NOTHING and yet we are His most treasured possession..

No comments:

Post a Comment